How To Become A Delegate To The 2012 Republican National Convention
How to Become an Oregon Delegate or Alternate
to the Republican National Convention and nominate
the Republican Presidential Candidate
2012 REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION
From August 27-31, 2012, an anticipated 50,000 delegates, alternate delegates, party officials, volunteers, members of the media, and convention guests will gather in Tampa, Florida for the 2012 Republican National Convention. The host city will be showcased on an international level as the Republican Party highlights its strong principles – and nominates the next president of the United States. Click Here for more information about the 2012 Republican National Convention.
Elected Precinct Committee Persons, in five Congressional Districts Conventions held in each of Oregon’s 5 Congressional Districts, will meet on June 23, 2012 to vote on who will be Oregon’s 25 Delegates and 25 Alternate Delegates to the Republican National Convention. In addition to casting their vote for the Delegates and Alternate Delegates, Congressional District Officers and Presidential Elector nominees will be elected at these conventions. It will be a full day of balloting, speeches and setting the future course of the Republican Party in Oregon.
Qualifications and Requirements
You may become a Republican National Convention Delegate or Alternate Delegate for Oregon if you are a Registered Republican, registered before November 17th, 2011 – 180 days before the May 15th, 2012 Oregon Primary:
1. File a nomination form prior to 5:00 PM on Thursday May 31st, 2012, committing to support one of the four Republican Presidential Candidates listed on the Oregon Ballot. There is no filing fee required.
Click Here to download the Delegate/Alternate filing form;
2. Submit a not-more-than-two-minute video statement telling District Convention Delegates why you should be selected as a Delegate and which Presidential Candidate you are pledged to support under the terms of Oregon law. Please carefully read the instructions and submit your Video Info Form by May 31st. Self-made videos are due by June 8th. The professional video session is scheduled for June 12th in Salem. Click Here to download the Video Info Form, incuding the details, cost and deadlines. Pre-registration for the CD Convention is encouraged and a charge for lunch and Convention expenses will be individually calculated by each of the Congressional Districts. Click Here for details about your District Convention and Registration;
3. You are willing to pay your airfare, lodging meals and Delegation fees out of your own resources – these Convention Delegate expenses can amount to as much as $3,000 per person, but will vary based on your airfare, lodging and other variable costs. Your Delegation fees need to be paid by 5:00 PM on July 9th to confirm your attendance. National Republican Party Rules restrict certain types of donations to individual delegates to the National Convention. If you have questions about this, please contact the Oregon Republican Party staff. All Delegate or Alternate fees are non-refundable after July 9th 2012;
4. You agree to attend the Oregon Delegation Organizational Meeting to be held on Saturday, July 14th from noon to 3:00 PM to elect Delegation Officers and National Convention Representatives. The location of this organizational meeting will provided to the Delegates and Alternates.
5. You are elected by the Congressional District Conventions in one of four sequential votes:
(Click Here for 2012 Convention Rules)
• At Large Delegates – 10 Candidates who receive the most votes will be elected
• Congressional District Delegates – 3 Candidates who receive the top number of votes in each of the five Congressional Districts will be elected Delegates (15 in total)
• At Large Alternates – 10 Candidates who receive the most votes will be elected.
• Congressional District Alternates – 3 Candidates who receive the top number of votes in each of the five Congressional Districts will be elected. (15 in total)
Pledging Support for the Presidential Nominees
Oregon Republicans wishing to run for National Convention Delegates and Alternates are required by State Law (ORS 248.315) to pledge to support one of the four Candidates through the end of the Second Ballot, until released by the Presidential Candidates, or until the candidate you pledge to support receives less than 35% of the National Convention Delegate votes. When you pledge to support a Presidential candidate as a Delegate or Alternate you have giving your word of honor, which is bound by state law to faithfully support that candidate until nominated, or one of the three conditions specified in Oregon law is met.
Nominating Oregon’s Republican Presidential Electors
The Oregon Republican Party Elected Precinct Committee People will vote at the Congressional District Convention, in the same manner as the At Large Convention Delegates to nominate Oregon’s 7 Republican Presidential electors who will cast Oregon’s Electoral College votes on December 15th at the State Capitol, if the Republican Presidential Nominee wins the November General Election popular vote. Click Here for more information on how you can be considered to be an elector and cast a vote in the Electoral College in the 2012 election. Click Here for the Presidential Elector Registration form.
Being Elected a Congressional District Officer
At the June 23rd Congressional District meetings, each of Oregon’s Five Congressional Districts will elect a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer for four year terms until the next Congressional District Convention. Each of Oregon Five Republican Congressional Districts operate with their own bylaws and elections procedures, please check with your Congressional District officers if you would like to run for one of these offices. Nominations for these offices will be taken from the floor at the June 23rd meeting.
First Congressional District Convention Location:
Shilo Inn Beaverton - 9900 SW Canyon Road, Beaverton, OR 97225
Chairman: Jeff Smith (503) 407-8684
ORP Staff Liaison: Kevin Hoar (503) 595-8881
Click Here to Register for CD1 Convention
Second Congressional District Convention Location:
Shilo Inn Bend - 3105 O.B. Riley Road, Bend 97701
Chairman: Tiny Robertson (541) 772-9364
ORP Staff Liaison: Jordan Conger (541) 633-9719
Click Here to Register for CD2 Convention
Third Congressional District Convention Location:
Portland Airport Embassy Suite Hotel - 7900 NE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97220
Chairman: Jim Parker (503) 225-9251
ORP Staff Liaison: Andy Scott (503) 869-7612
Click Here to Register for CD3 Convention
Fourth Congressional District Convention Location:
Umpqua Community College - 1140 Umpqua College Rd, Roseburg, OR 97470
Chairman: Bob Avery (541) 632-4063
ORP Staff Liaison: Terri Moffett (541) 998-6439
Click Here to Register for CD4 Convention
Fifth Congressional District Convention Location:
West Salem High School - 1776 Titan Drive NW, West Salem, OR 97304
Chairman: Jeff Kubler (541) 224-6158
ORP Staff Liaison: Greg Leo (503) 804-6391
Click Here to Register for CD5 Convention
This information updated 6/27/2012