OREGON REPUBLICAN PARTY
OFFICIAL NEWS RELEASE
Statement of the Oregon Republican Party in
Opposition to Oregon Senate Bills 347, 699, 700 and 796
Wilsonville, OR – On April 4th, 2013, the six Executive Officers of the Oregon Republican Party voted unanimously to oppose Oregon Senate Bills 347, 699, 700 and 796 for the following reasons:
• The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States guarantees each law-abiding American citizen the right to keep and bear arms of his choice
• The Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States clearly says “A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”
• Firearms known as “Assault Weapons” are also protected by the Second Amendment as part of a “well-regulated militia”
• Firearms are used for the defense of person, family, and property more than one million times each year
• More than 99.8 percent of all lawfully-owned firearms in America will not be used in crime in any given year
• The criminal misuse of firearms by those in the criminal element is not a reason to deny the constitutional right to keep and bear arms by law-abiding citizens
• Several local, state, and federal lawmakers continue to propose measures aimed at restricting all firearms and ammunition, including bans, taxation, waiting periods, registration, licensing, and even confiscation
• Such laws assume the guilt of all firearms owners without addressing those who have mental issues, misuse and criminally abuse firearms, contrary to our legal justice system which assumes innocence until proven guilty
• National Institute of Justice studies have shown that restrictive "gun control"
laws are ineffective against violent criminals, who show contempt for all laws
• The effect of restrictive gun laws has been the exact opposite of that which was promised, as evidenced by high violent crime rates
Therefore, the Oregon Republican Party recommends the rejection of further restrictive firearms or ammunition regulation laws that only serve to limit law-abiding citizens in the exercise of their Constitutionally guaranteed rights while having no effect on the activities of the criminal element in our society.
Further, the Oregon Republican Party recommends that the scarce resources of the law enforcement and criminal justice systems be focused upon uniform, consistent, and just sentencing, speedy trials, and increased punishment and incarceration for those who commit violent crime.